Computer Woes

computer wiring

Pressed the button one two times
Wait to hear computer chimes,
Screen is blank, no noises heard
Another press, that makes it third.

Check the battery in the mouse,
Look for spares around the house,
Next the keyboard power light
Dust inside unseemly sight!

Power sockets in their place,
Tangled wires great disgrace,
Cables fitted look alright
Feel the couplings out of sight.

Now take manual from the rack
Thousand pages front to back,
Many languages are there,
Is English hiding out somewhere?

Index ten, subtitle six:
“Nothing works, you’re in a fix!
Check with helpdesk overseas
But only when we’re open please!”

Now my tested patience leaves
Out the door the manual heaves;
Then I hear my wife’s loud shout,
“Did you know our power’s out?”

“© Copyright Ian Grice 2013, all rights reserved”

1. Wyon says:

i thoroughly enjoyed this. thank you., Related humour – cartoon of man staring at computer in fury and pointing at the printer ‘what do you mean you cannot locate the printer ITS THERE! RIGHT THERE!

1. Good one! I must file that one away in my mind for future reference. LOL

2. Jane Thorne says:

Oh Ian, years ago I ran tech support for an IT set-up and one of the first things we used to ask was ‘Is the light on?’…I am not laughing, promise….well not much. I spent all those years in IT and I have so little patience for them now! Jx

1. Reminds me of that old joke when referring to someone too dumb for this world. “Lights are on, but there’s no one home!” LOL

3. Ian, oh my I have so often been right there. This had my by the pant leg and shook me. Sorry, laughing and giggling. Wonderfully done.

1. I’m sure most of us have had the experience. LOL.

4. Chancy and Mumsy says:

Oh, sweet Ian I was really feeling for you as I was reading this fantastic poem. Amazing how you can make poetry out of computer woes. I had not even thought of a power outage. Great work my friend! Hugs

1. We often forget to check the most obvious before spending a lot of time trying to fix things don’t we? It gets worse as you get older. This morning I found myself heading for the refrigerator to return the toaster to its place. rotfl

1. Chancy and Mumsy says:

rotfl I have noticed it gets worse as we get older. I was going to heat a cup of water in the microwave the other day and found myself placing it in the refrigerator. The latest I have done though is try to pour coffee in a cup with the cup upside down…now that is getting bad. What would we do without the laughs we bring to ourselves with comical things we do?

2. Yes we do some odd things as we age. LOL

5. Yoshiko says:

Ian, I understand how you feel. My computers often give me headache before. Now better. Your last line really catch me by surprise and makes a funny remark. 🙂

1. Thank you for visiting Yoshiko. Seeing your name always brings back happy memories of the 30 years I spent in Asia visiting those beautiful countries with their lovely people. I had fun making that poem. LOL.

6. JaneS says:

Lovely and so true, we need this one pinned up on the wall. It recenty happened to my computer savvy husband and me with a helpful suggestion “Did you check to see if it’s still plugged in?” Of course I knew that I had been cleaning below and he didn’t. It’s a good thing that he has a sense of humor. Cheerio.

1. Good one Jane. I’m sure you were able to soothe him with a good meal afterward. That always works with us men. LOL.

1. Donald says:

You know Ian, I forgot I even had a WordPress account. I got this in my email. I’ll be sure to share this on fb. Always a treat to read your stories and poems. Thanks my friend. Have a great weekend.

2. Nice to see you on my WordPress page Donald. I didn’t know you had a page on this site.

7. susanai says:

Reblogged this on SUSAN'S SPACE and commented:
    Just a great little poem written by a great guy Ian Grice.

1. Thank you Susan, you are too kind

LOL – we have all been guilty of this at one time or the other 🙂

1. I’m sure this one strikes a note of recognition for those who visit. LOL

9. susanai says:

Oh Ian I loved this and am laughing – must be good.

1. I don’t think I’m alone in getting cross with computers at times. LOL.