First Date

Waited restless all day long
With nervous twitch and silent song
For Jane had said a definite yes
Thought she’d decline I must confess.

I barely made it through the day
My pulse was racing thoughts would stray
To protocols on my first date
For starters better not be late.

Inspection in the mirror near,
Instructions from my Mother dear,
She straightens tie caresses hair
And Father grins from favourite chair.

He hands me keys to precious car
And says he’ll leave front door ajar,
Then tells me not to be too late
And wake him with the squeaking gate.

I hurry to Jane’s nearby place
Observe her Father’s watchful face
In silhouette through open door
And wonder now just what’s in store.

He sits me down and quizzes me,
And really leads me up a tree
He sounds so stern, and yet he’s not,
My pulse is racing, forehead hot.

Then Jane appears in flowing gown
Miss Universe of this small town
She kisses Father, doting Ma
Then strides majestic to the car.

I fumble keys a little while
While Jane turns on resplendent smile,
Then courage catches up with me
We’re off down town and fancy free.

“© copyright Ian Grice 2012 all rights reserved”

1. Your poem brings back memories for all of us, I’m sure, and so beautifully written, Ian…it also reminds me of my daughter’s first date with her current boyfriend (over a year ago), looking from a parental angle! 🙂 I found you through Eric’s blog and glad I did!
    Lauren

1. Thank you Lauren. You may be interested in a previous story titled “That first kiss.” It was a playful look at those early teen years. Enjoyed my introduction to your page too.

1. You’re welcome, Ian, and I will check out your other story! You may enjoy my version of “The Kiss” however, from a little different perspective! 🙂

2. This poem beautifully brings back some memories.

1. Yes we have to smile at the innocence of our early teens don’t we.

3. Jeannie says:

Loved this Ian! You captured the innocence of youth so well–anticipation, fumble fingers, all of it! From my side of the coin, I had thoughts of, Will he think I’m pretty? Will we have something to talk about? Is he going to expect me to kiss him? What if he’s a jerk? LOL Nicely done!!

1. Looks like we all had the same experience. LOL

4. Subhan Zein says:

Oh, Ian. How vivid your description is! Great stuff! 🙂 Now this reminds me of my first date. LOL

Subhan Zein

1. I hope it was less stressful for you. LOL

1. Subhan Zein says:

It was less stressful, true, because she was older and hence was understanding of the nerve I was having on my first date. LOL

Subhan Zein

5. Chancy and Mumsy says:

Sweet Ian you amaze me with how you can take life happenings and turn them into such lovely poems. Hugs

1. Thank you so much. I still consider myself to be far short of the literary greats though.

1. Chancy and Mumsy says:

Well, I don’t think you give yourself enough credit for your wonderful talent my friend. Thanks for stopping by and viewing my pictures.

Beautifully captures in verse and rhyme, what many young men go through. I hope you don’t me saying – she is quite a smasher! Lucky fellow 🙂

‘Innocent days’….Hmmmm (rubbing my chin)

1. Yes she was, and the one who stole her from me thought so too. LOL. Sounds like you have my number there Eric, innocent I may have been but my army days cared for that.

7. Claudia says: