Lover’s Quarrel

fighting-wife

He turned away from Suzy’s ire

A look of hurt upon his face,

Her words were like a burning fire

So now he’d leave this dismal place!

He’d come home with some roses white

So happy to be home at last,

But Suzy bursting for a fight

Had met him with a verbal blast

For he had promised yesterday

To take her to her Mother’s place,

“Sorry,” all she heard him say!

They’d disappointed Mother Grace.

It took time for the housing loan

He wished it hadn’t been so long,

He’d tried to reach her on the phone

And couldn’t see what he’d done wrong

He tried to think where he could go

For now he’d seek another life

And find another love to show,

He’d finished with this angry wife.

After Tom had left the place

She paused to think the drama through

A fearful look upon her face

Now wondering just what she should do.

She phoned her wise old Mother Grace

And told her what a fool she’d been

Her Tom had left without a trace

She hoping Mom had Thomas seen.

Tom sat in his stark dark motel room

While staring blankly at the wall

And wondered in this new found tomb

Should he now give his Sue a call?

But Thomas called her Mom instead

And on the phone he poured his grief

Then climbed into his lonely bed

While hoping sleep would bring relief

There was a loud knock on the door

When opened saw to his relief

His Suzy rush across the floor

And kissed, caressed away his grief.

“© Ian Grice 2017 All rights reserved

Copyright to the above picture belongs to cliparts.co

1. Eddie & Esther Norton says:

Mother-in-law’s are helpful!

On Wed, Feb 22, 2017 at 9:37 PM, ianscyberspace wrote:

> ianscyberspace posted: ” He turned away from Suzy’s ire A look of hurt > upon his face, Her words were like a burning fire So now he’d leave this > dismal place! He’d come home with some roses white So happy to be home at > last, But Suzy bursting for a fight Had met him with” >

Liked by 1 person

1. Mine was very supportive.

2. The virtue of forgiveness came to my mind when I read your poem. Thanks for sharing 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. And thank you for visiting my page and sharing. Your name would be a very familiar one as it seems to have originated in a part of the world I have a great deal of interest in having lived in India and rubbed shoulders with people from your original homeland there. The revolution reference and later civil war would naturally have found your family looking for a more peaceful rest in Canada. Exchanging Canada for Spain would certainly be warmer. and a bit closer to your homeland too which I’m sure you miss.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks Ian for your warm words. I look forward to reading more of your blog 🤗

Liked by 1 person

3. susanai says:

Oooh! I love this.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you Sue. You are always so generous in your comments.

4. jstansfeld says:

The images are a great addition to this pithy text. Is anger the theme of the week/month? This plays well with Eric’s recent post on the same topic. Some suggest that a reconciliation, especially if accompanied by sex, is richly satisfying. Perhaps it is because the two parties have seen raw emotion in each-other and, however traumatic, this is good as it may enrich the two’s perception of each other.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you, yes I agree the best course of action is to cool off and look at a reconciliation as soon as possible before unhappiness passes beyond that reconciliation. However there are times when separation is the kindest option for both parties.

Liked by 1 person

5. You captured the essence of a relationship–the part beyond the fizz and romance. How to let things go is a huge part of its success. Nice job, Ian.

Liked by 2 people

1. I’m complemented that you who have taught and published so widely appreciated the poem. I can see it could be tidied up and may take another look at it in future. I’m always tinkering with my old stories and poems. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

6. borika45 says:

Enjoyed the pros. T
    Great that it had a peaceful conclusion!

Sent from my iPad

Liked by 1 person

7. borika45barb says:

Great prise and good To see peaceful conclusion

Liked by 1 person

1. Thanks for reading and commenting Barb.

Such mindless anger and impetuosity leaves one with a festering guilt and what a relief when the matter is put to a rest – and hopefully resolved never to resurface.

A few times I’ve lost my cool and looking back one wonders what the fuss was all about. LOL!

Dare I say that it has been years since I last lost my cool. Age! What a wonderful balm 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. You are right. When younger we feel we have to return in kind but as we get older we realize from those experiences that words cannot be taken back and relationships spoiled by a hasty word.

Liked by 2 people