We had no idea when we took delivery of our fifteen centimetre bouncing ball of fluff we were in for a unique lifetime treat. Our Shih Tzu Maltese cross looked like a miniature black bear, so it was natural we name him Baloo. In the major Indian languages Baloo means bear.
We learned that we did not own this pet, he owned us. We were at his beck and call, and he regimented us to his timing for the twice a day walk, mealtimes, and snack occasions. He developed rituals in preparing for the overnight sleep, inspecting our bed thoroughly before planting himself firmly between both of us, thus ensuring only he had our full attention through the night.
Baloo acquired an understanding of key words of the English language, reacting wildly to anything indicating we were to ride in the car or go outside. The look of disappointment when not invited to join in guilt tripped us on many occasions, but when we returned home for lunch or supper there he was framed in the window to welcome us home, with head protruding between the white sheer curtains like some Disney creature from a haunted castle.
The most unique memory we have of Baloo is his ability to walk on two back legs for long periods of time. This was not an up on two legs and down again thing. Baloo actually followed us around the home walking on his two hind legs with front paws held kangaroo style. This was of great amusement to visitors. It started when Baloo began to inspect what we were having for lunch, but he must have liked the feeling as it became a regular habit. Baloo was 14 years old when he passed on. Memories of this unique friend will never be forgotten.
“© Copyright Ian Grice 2011 All rights reserved”
Things Your Dog Should Know! – (Author unknown)
1. The garbage collector is not stealing household stuff.
2. Dogs shouldn’t suddenly stand straight up when lying under the coffee table.
3. Dogs shouldn’t roll toys behind the fridge, behind the sofa or under the bed.
4. Dogs must not shake the rainwater out of fur when entering the house.
5. Dogs shouldn’t eat the cats’ food, before they eat it or after they throw it up.
6. Dogs shouldn’t look for the few remaining pieces of clean carpet in the house when about to get sick.
7. Dogs should not throw up in the car.
8. Dogs should not roll on dead seagulls, fish, crabs, etc. just because they like the smell.
9. “Kitty box crunchies,” although they may look tasty, are not food.
10. Kleenex tissues or napkins are not to be eaten, processed and deposited in the back yard.
11. The diaper pail is not a cookie jar.
12. My human’s toothbrush is not to be chewed and kept a secret.
13. Crayons or pens are not to be eaten, especially not the red ones, or people will think I am hemorrhaging.
14. When in the car, do not insist on having the window rolled down when it’s raining outside.
15. Dogs will not bark each time they hear a doorbell on TV.
16. Nor steal Mom’s underwear and dance all over the backyard with it.
17. The sofa is not a face towel. Neither are Mom & dad’s laps.
18. The head does not belong in the refrigerator.
19. Nor should a dog bite the officer’s hand when he reaches in for driver’s license and car registration.
20. Don’t play tug-of-war with dad’s underwear when he’s on the toilet