Dreams

Dreaming_1_tnbOn dark and chilly nights it seems

I have my most intriguing dreams,

I’m sometimes driving places far

And suddenly I’ve lost my car

Replaced with childhood pedal toy

The type I loved so as a boy,

And wondering how to home I’ll go,

Toy pedals, small feet working slow.

Then other nights I’m floating high

And none can reach me though they try,

Those threatening forces try their best

To capture me, and they don’t rest,

While I stay prudently away

And treat them as a thing of play,

But know someday I must come down

And face those forces on the ground.

Much more disturbing dream than these,

A dream that buckles at the knees,

For heavy burdens weigh me down

Placed there by giants of renown

With taunting jibes they pile more on,

My trembling lips bid them be gone!

But one more mighty, blest surprise,

Then takes my burdens, bids me rise.

“© Copyright Ian Grice 2017, all rights reserved”

Image above copyrighted to claudiabo

1. Eddie & Esther Norton says:

The mysteries of dreams!

On Thu, Sep 28, 2017 at 1:32 PM, ianscyberspace wrote:

> ianscyberspace posted: “On dark and chilly nights it seems I have my most > intriguing dreams, I’m sometimes driving places far And suddenly I’ve lost > my car Replaced with childhood pedal toy The type I loved so as a boy, And > wondering how to home I’ll go, Toy pedals, small” >

Liked by 1 person

1. They can be very strange at times, and sometimes terrifying to a small child.

2. This flows like a song….I agree it would give children a sense that all is well within them. Hugs Xx

Liked by 1 person

1. Yes the poem was supposed to flow that way. It was one of my first poems I happened to find recently.

Liked by 1 person

3. Baydreamer says:

Loved the rhythm and message, Ian. I can also see it in a children’s book.

Liked by 1 person

1. I’ve toyed with the idea of publishing my children’s stories written primarily for my grandkids. At this age I’ve decided its too much trouble. 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Baydreamer says:

I know how you feel with it being too much trouble. I’ve contemplated publishing a third poetry book, but haven’t found the energy for it yet. 🙂 As to your writing, then it can simply be for your grand-kids to enjoy and that is still special.

Liked by 1 person

4. jstansfeld says:

Good poem. It would do well in a child’s book of verse with its strong rhythm and good message for the young often find dreams disturbing and this poem could reassure. Snazzy illustrations too!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you for the encouragement. When I wrote it long ago it was with the memories of bad dreams and waking up to the comfort of a concerned parent soothing me. Dreams can be very strange.

Liked by 1 person

Dreams – and even nightmares – are fascinating and sometimes so realistic.
    Loved the different takes you gave – enjoyed the verses.
    Have a great weekend,
    Eric

Liked by 2 people

1. I had some of those dreams constantly through toward the end of my twenties. Weird stuff and never ending satisfactorily. 🙂

Liked by 1 person